Public Folders Migration
UPDATED: NOVEMBER 21, 2013
Several years ago, Microsoft announced public folders would be discontinued, but did not provide an exact date. The remaining public folders need to be phased out by June 30, 2014 as support continues to decrease and disk space is limited.
While supported in Exchange 2010 (UK’s current version) and the recently released Exchange 2013, public folders are not supported in the cloud version of Exchange, such as Office 365. In addition, UK’s disk space for Exchange Public Folder is near its limit; therefore UKIT is requesting users delete unnecessary and/or redundant data as soon as possible!
Sharepoint, Shared Mailboxes and Drupal are encouraged for archiving data, document sharing and collaboration users rather than public folders. Contact your departmental IT staff or the UKIT Service Desk at 859-218-HELP (4357) for additional information about these products.
In addition, users are asked to complete the following steps going forward:
· Do NOT create new public folders.
· Delete unnecessary and/or redundant data from current public folders.
· Do NOT use public folders for the following:
- Backing up workstations or servers; Use TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) instead.
- Archiving mail; Use local .pst files instead.
- Personal data, including MP3 or video files not related to your work.
· Migrate public folders files to:
- SharePoint, which can replicate many of the public folders functions.
- Exchange Resources, to replace public folders used to schedule meeting rooms or equipment. Book the rooms or equipment through Exchange, the same way you invite attendees to meetings.
- Shared Mailboxes, to replace mail enabled public folders.
- Listserv, to replace mail enabled public folders with more than 250 addresses.
- Drupal, for web sites presenting information to an internal or external audience.
- Departmental File Servers.
· Delete public folders and files when migration is complete.
For more detailed information on migrating public folders to these other resources, visit www.uky.edu/ukit/help/email/public-folders.