Staff Senate Election Information
Staff Senate Elections
Staff Senate is an opportunity for UK’s employees to contribute to the greater University good. Self-nominations for elections will be April 6-24. Elections will be held May 8-22. Click on GUIDELINES and NOMINATIONS to run for a seat in the appropriae sector.
OPEN SEATS PER ELECTION SECTORS
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION 7
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT FOR HEALTH AFFAIRS 24
Nuts and bolts of Senate commitment
- Must be .75 FTE or greater
- Senators serve three-year terms
- Time commitment is about 3-4 hours a month
- Interested employees should visit Senate Web site for necessary paperwork after Jan. 31
- Requires supervisor approval
- New Senators begin service in July
Administrative responsibilities of Senators
- Administers UK Appreciation Day. This annual event takes a year of planning and recruitment of about 200 University staff volunteers for the day of the event.
- Administers the CRISIS financial assistance program that provides one time grants to employees experiencing unexpected financial hardships.
- Coordinates Outstanding Staff Awards ceremony
- Organizes monthly Conversation with President
University service by senators
- Staff Senators are asked to serve on a variety of decision making and reporting committees such as strategic planning, regulations, work life, new budget model, e.g.
- Many senators contribute personal time to campus programming and improvement
- Senators provide leadership within their work units
Benefits for colleges, departments, units for Senate service
- Opportunity for employees to have involvement in University service
- Creates sense of University ownership for employees
- Vehicle for communication about university initiatives and decision making
- Involvement in decisions that affect the entire University, such as raise allocations, review and revision of ARs and GRs, budgeting, etc.
- Excellent professional development opportunity for individuals
Staff Senate accomplishments
- Helped ensure across the board raises in addition to merit increases
- Worked in conjunction with HR on shared leave pool creation
- Passed resolution in support of more inclusive anti-discrimination policy