The application deadline is Friday, January 18, 2013 by 4:00 p.m.
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
- A completed Applicant Information Form.
- A curriculum vitae (resume) highlighting your academic and community achievements.
- A brief, well articulated answer (no more than 800 words) to one of two essay questions.
- Two letters of recommendation (you are strongly urged to submit the two recommendation letters in sealed, signed envelopes along with your application materials). Recommendation letters should come from people who know you well, preferably University of Kentucky professors, selected not by department but for knowledge of your qualities of mind and person.
- Unofficial college transcript. Save and print a PDF of your UK transcript from MyUK. If you have attended other colleges or universities, we will accept Xeroxed copies of official or unofficial transcripts from those institutions.
You may submit your application online here (including your curriculum vitae, essay, and transcript)
You may fill out and print the application available in the "documents" section below.
Students considering application to the Gaines Fellowship Program are invited to attend an informational meeting, where you will hear about the program and get tips for making a strong application from the staff of the Gaines Center and current Gaines Fellows. There are two scheduled:
4 pm, Tuesday, November 13, 2012 in the Commonwealth House, 226 E. Maxwell Street. Light refreshments will be served.
4 pm, Thursday, November 15, 2012 in Room 318, Patterson Office Tower. Light refreshments will be served.
Can't make one of the info sessions above? Don't hesitate to contact the Gaines Center for an appointment (859) 257-1537. We look forward to talking with you!
The application deadline is Friday, January 18, 2013 by 4:00 p.m. All parts of the application must be delivered by that time.
Notification of initial screening results will be mailed to all applicants no later than February 6, 2013.
Individual interviews with selected candidates will be held February 13 through February 27, 2013. Members of the Gaines Fellowship Advisory Committee will conduct 30-minute interviews at the Bingham Davis House (218 East Maxwell Street), Gaines Center for the Humanities. If you are invited for an interview, you will be given more information about the nature of the interview when you make your appointment.
All candidates will be notified of the selection results in writing on March 5, 2013.
Tips and Hints
- Stop by the office if you have any questions.
- All majors are encouraged to apply. There have been Gaines fellows selected from virtually every college at UK.
- The Gaines Fellowship is an opportunity to expand one's horizons.
- Gaines Fellows win a disproportionate amount of external scholarships won by UK students. Applicants are strongly encouraged to look at these programs!
- If you have any questions, ask a current fellow. They have been through the process before, and will be more than willing to give you pointers on how to apply!